Solved PhpBB3 question/help

Gilly

Commissioner
Commissioner
Systems Administrator
PC
PlayStation® 3
Jul 30, 2013
1) How do I add more people I know in myBB there is a feature that allows admin's to manually add them. So how do I add members via ACP (phpBB).
2) Is there any easy way/method to installing plugins?
3) more question will arrive here later so yaa xD.

Note to Christopher a.k.a ClareXoBearx32 can you register here also http://www.official-gaming.cu.cc/forum

If anyone have an answer I mean anyone it doesn't have to Christopher but if you do...GREAT!!!! :p

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT
Re: PhpBB3 question/help

Hey there Gilly,

1). Unfortunately, despite the many features that phpBB3 has, it does lack the feature for admins to manually add members. There is a plugin that someone made that will do it, but it's not fully compatible with the current version of phpBB3.

2). There is a simpler way to install plugins; you can download a tool called AutoMOD. Make sure it's for your version of phpBB3 and install it on your board. Then, some mods can be uploaded and installed via AutoMOD (if they are compatible). Installing mods is a very intricate process here, so be sure to make a backup before anything.

As a sidenote, my recent installation of AutoMOD was somehow corrupt as mods were not properly installing despite the fact that they said they did. I decided to cut my losses and completely remove all mods as well as AutoMOD. The cleaner the database, the easier and another any upgrades, transitions, or migrations will be.

Generally speaking, phpBB3 should be used for those primarily focused on security and reliability rather than cosmetics and visual enhancements.

Also, I'll register on that site once I'm finished moving tomorrow. I'm on my mobile right now, so it's a bit tedious. :p

Gilly

Commissioner
Commissioner
Systems Administrator
PC
PlayStation® 3
Jul 30, 2013

When I installed AutoMod some how my ACP detected was that instead of the whole instead of the regular ACP like it was showing me the AutoMod. Then when I uninstalled AutoMod gave me an error on the 2 php error line.

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT

AutoMOD is quite tricky to get started with. If you don't have a backup of your phpBB3 directory, simply fetch the original files (from phpbb.com) and extract them to your current directory, overwriting all files and directories. That way they're the original ones.

Ultimately, if you're looking for cosmetics and visual enhancements, phpBB3 isn't the way to go. Not because it's a bad software, but because this was released back in 2005 era when visual enhancements weren't as advanced as they are now. The current version of phpBB (phpBB3) is being updated with maintenance releases, which fixes bugs and patches other things.

If you're looking to simply enhance the overall visuals on your board, I'd advise you start looking for a nice style that fits your comfort. Mods just complicate things like upgrades and whatnot. Of course, feel free to experiment --- don't let me hold you back. I'm just giving you my personal opinion. I've tried phpBB3, MyBB, IPB, and had a small glimpse of the VB that you used to have and none of them are quite perfect and have it all. But ultimately, I care about security and reliability, which is why I've gone back to phpBB3.

Gilly

Commissioner
Commissioner
Systems Administrator
PC
PlayStation® 3
Jul 30, 2013

How do you make a section that group all the subforum cause i have games catagory and i made a forum called call of duty and i made a subforum but when i enter i dont see a thing called call of duty.

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT

I'll try to explain this the best I can.

The entire "forum" as it's typically called is actually a "board". You start at the "board index" and then have "categories" setup. So for example, on our board, the following categories are in place:

> Staff Area
> The Network
> PlayStation Network
> PC Network

Within each category, you then setup "forums". Then within each forum, you can setup "sub-forums" if you wish to do so. In some cases, you may not want to do so, but there are cases you might want to. An example is our Grand Theft Auto IV (Private) forum, located under the PC Network category. If you go into it, you will see a number of sub-forums, including Liberty City Police Department, Liberty City Transport Authority, etc. Sub-forums are useful to better organized discussions within a particular topic. So in this case, since this all has something to do with GTA IV, it's in the GTA IV forum. General discussion about GTA IV can simply take place in the GTA IV forum itself, whereas specific discussion regarding say the police department should take place in the Liberty City Police Department sub-forum.

If that confused you a bit, don't worry. You may need to read it a few times to understand. Notice that in the GTA IV (Private) forum, there are buttons available for people to make new topics. So discussions can still be withheld in the GTA IV forum itself. In addition, topics can be made within the sub-forums that exist there.

Hope that helps. :)

Gilly

Commissioner
Commissioner
Systems Administrator
PC
PlayStation® 3
Jul 30, 2013

ok,
I have another question when i go on my site right it doesnt pop up give me white page instead of my forum page.

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT

That's weird. Did you reach your bandwidth limit? Did your webhosting service end? When did that start?

Gilly

Commissioner
Commissioner
Systems Administrator
PC
PlayStation® 3
Jul 30, 2013

like when i visit /forum should open the page to my forum right like when i visit your page /forum i see stuff when i visit mine doesnt i only see a blank page. in order to see i need to do /forum/index.php which i dont think people might not know what the extension is than i do.

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT

You shouldn't have to add anything. Going to /forum should open the page as usual. Seeing as that's not working, it seems to be an issue with apache (or whatever the web server is). You will have to contact your web host about it.

Gilly

Commissioner
Commissioner
Systems Administrator
PC
PlayStation® 3
Jul 30, 2013

Fuck me the web hosting thing they don't know shit lol. They only know about game hosting xD. Cause that like mainly for game server and they even said that they don't do HTML and etc. so overall I think they are shit xD.

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT

Well that is absurd. How can a webhosting company (or any company) sell a service without having any knowledge behind it? You should demand word from a manager to either resolve the issue or demand your money back.

You'll then need to find another webhosting company. That's what I would do. I have a good provider if you want a link. More than affordable too.

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT

In coordination with my list above, here's a link: https://123systems.net/billing/aff.php?aff=802

Look at the Shared Hosting section. You can get large webhosting (25 GB HDD, 125 GB bandwidth per month, unlimited databases, etc, and cPanel) for $3.95/month. If you prepay annually, it's $30.95 AND you get a FREE domain, which will help you look more professional.

There are smaller plans of course, but I figure what I showed you is what you'll want. And if you need more HDD space later, you can always pay for an add-on which gives you more space, for a one-time fee.

If you want a custom prepay option (like every six months or every three months), it should be available. If it's not and you'd like it, make an account there so that you have a client account and then I'll talk to the support staff for you (they're nice people).

Gilly

Commissioner
Commissioner
Systems Administrator
PC
PlayStation® 3
Jul 30, 2013

Is installing Unix easy? Is it like installing a new Windows

Christopher

All in time.
Commissioner
Dec 3, 1997
New York
Precinct
27-PCT

It's not as easy as installing Windows. Installing Unix typically on a remote server is done via a command line too, so it might give you a headache if you're not familiar with the command line in general.